Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rose Colored Glasses

I see poverty in my community almost everyday.  I work smack dab in the middle of it.  I know its face in a way that someone who is surrounded by it knows it.  I do not begin to pretend to know it as someone whose life is immersed in it.  But still, poverty is a part of my life.

So, I was a little surprised this week when I went to Austin and saw its poverty.  I was not surprised that Austin had poverty.  I was surprised that it did not look the same as my poverty.  I mean, it looked the same, it just didn't "look" the same.

There were broken down houses and yards strewn with debris of a difficult life.  Mangy looking dogs, some with limps (likely from being kicked or run over) scrounging around.  Beacons of light alongside the sadness - houses well kept.  Strung out men and women walking around looking for relief.  Others, just living life like everyone else.

I guess what was different is that I know the people that live in my poverty.  I see the heart and soul of that neighborhood, not just the broke down parts.  Or it could be that I have become immune to my poverty.  I've seen it so much that it just seems normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment